Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us . . . Hebrews 12:1

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us . . . " Hebrews 12:1



Almost 18 years ago, life changed in an instant when Steven Sauder sustained a head injury after a car collision. Although there have been many difficulties, God's grace has been clearly evident. The past few years, Steven continued to decline, yet God gave him the strength to "never give up". On May 9, 2011, he reached the end of his journey.



Monday, June 20, 2011

Church Family Blessings

The correct time of the July 9 memorial service at Eureka Bible Church, Eureka, IL is 10:00 a.m. I posted the time wrong on the 5/13 blog.

At the time of the collision (Sept., 1993), we were living in IL. Our church family there at Eureka Bible Church gathered around and provided awesome support, from 1993 until we moved to FL in 1996. They mowed our yard, brought tons of food, loaned our children a car so they could visit Steven, helped me buy a new car, helped print and mail out 1000's of letters to patients, cleaned the house, and took care of me after I was able to go home from the hospital. Eureka Bible people helped maintain the commercial building (and lot) where Steven had his practise and where we had other commercial renters, and, when we decided to close the practise a year later, they helped us sell, give away, or dispose of all the medical equipment. They finished a new septic system that we had started before the collision, gave us money to help cover expenses and college tuitions costs for 2 daughters, and drove me up to Chicago numerous times to visit Steven after he was transferred there. After I was well enough to temporarily move up to Chicago, they helped move us, visited (often), called, and took care of our house. Our pastor, Andy, moved our high school age son into the basement apartment of his own home while we were in Chicago. They moved us back from Chicago, and, when we were ready to move to FL, Eureka Bible people helped us paint and fix up our IL house in preparation for sale and assisted us in packing up. They always encouraged, prayed, and cared. I could keep going on with many more deeds of kindness and love, but needless to say, they totally fulfilled Galatians 5:10...

"So then, as occasion and opportunity open up to us, let us do good. Be mindful to be a blessing, especially to those of the household of faith."

God was so good to have placed us in that church, at that time, with so many blessed people!

After we moved down to FL, God did the same thing again, with a whole new set of people. We were so blessed, all the years of Steven's disability, and I am still blessed with a church family that cares so much. Thank you, Lord!

And, in both states, God brought us an unbelievable amount of help not only from our specific church family, but also from the whole "household of faith" - God's family of believers worldwide. "And you belong to God's own household." Eph. 2:19 (But that's a story for another blog). All of these works of love, wherever done, have been gifts from the Lord and have brought glory to God.

I'll close with Steven's journal entry from April 11, 1998 (4 1/2 years after the brain injury)...
Gal. 1:24 "And they gave glory to God because of me." (speaking of Paul proclaiming the very faith that he once tried to destroy)
Lord,
This verse is true, but it is also true that people give glory to You because of what YOU do inside them. I have learned that I myself do nothing. You do it ALL! I give you the praise and glory. And you do what you do because of LOVE.
In Jesus,
Amen

Note: I'll try to post weekly from now on. If you like, you can sign up with your e-mail (see right of blog page), so you are automatically sent an e-mail of each new blog instead of having to check for new posts.

1 comment:

  1. Tammy Hunt PreidisJuly 20, 2011 at 3:34 AM

    Vicki - I doubt you remember me, but I've never forgotten you or your husband, Steven. I used to babysit your four wonderful children when we all lived in Washington, IL. I was 14 when I first started babysitting for you and continued to do so for about three years. My name is Tammy Hunt Preidis.

    I've been cleaning our shed and found a container of old yearbooks. A letter from your husband fell out of one of the books. It was actually a Job Reference Form from Washington High school. I needed references to enroll in their employment placement service the summer of 1981.

    Dr. Sauder gave me an outstanding letter of reference - I had to laugh though as he only gave me a "2" on one area...my sense of humor. I was taught to be very respectful of adults so I guess I didn't know how to completely be myself. I've improved on my sense of humor over the years - - lol.

    After finding the letter I decided to look your husband up on the internet and found his obit. I just wanted to write and tell you how sorry I am. I've been reading the blog and will continue to do so. God used your husband in so many specials ways. You and he both were special to me and I'll never forget you. I've always known I wanted a family with a strong faith for my children. God has blessed my husband and I with 3 boys. Thank you for the impact you had on my teen years. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete